Do I Think Too Much? How to decrease rumination and over-thinking
Over-thinking is a common, albeit frustrating and at times all-consuming issue for many people, especially for those who suffer from anxiety. When we over-think, our mind becomes cluttered with negative thoughts and worries that can prevent us from living a fulfilling life. However, it’s possible to stop over-thinking and reduce anxiety with a few simple steps.
- Practice mindfulness: Mindfulness is a mental state achieved by focusing on the present moment without judgment. It helps to calm the mind and reduce over-thinking by allowing us to focus on what is happening in the here and now. Try to practice mindfulness techniques like meditation, deep breathing, or yoga every as part of your daily routine.
- Identify triggers: Over-thinking is often triggered by specific events or situations. Identify the triggers (i.e. finances, relationships, school, etc.) that cause you to over-think and proactively try to focus on seeing the situation objectively-as if you were giving feedback to a friend.
- Challenge negative thoughts: When we over-think, we often get caught in a cycle of negative thoughts. Challenge these negative thoughts by questioning their accuracy and validity. Ask yourself, “Is this thought really true?” and “What evidence do I have to support this thought?”
- Focus on solutions (only if you are not in an anxious state): Instead of dwelling on problems and worries, try to focus on finding solutions. Ask yourself, “What can I do to fix this situation?” and “What resources can I use to solve this problem?”
- Limit exposure to stressful stimuli: Exposure to stressful stimuli, such as the news or social media, can contribute to over-thinking and anxiety. Try to limit your exposure to these stimuli, and engage in activities that bring you joy and peace.
- Seek professional help: If you’re unable to stop over-thinking on your own, don’t be afraid to seek professional help. A therapist can help you develop coping skills and techniques to reduce anxiety and over-thinking.
By following these tips, you can stop or at least decrease over-thinking and reduce anxiety in your life. Remember, it’s important to be patient and kind to yourself as you work towards overcoming this issue. With time and practice, you can learn to live a more relaxed and fulfilling life.